(CNN) – Purdue Pharma has filed for bankruptcy.
The drug company took that step Sunday as a method for settling litigation with numerous states and governments that say the company fueled the opioid crisis.
Purdue Pharma issued a statement that says the “court-supervised process is intended to – among other things – facilitate an orderly and equitable resolution of all claims against Purdue.”
The Sackler family, Pharma’s owner, says they are working toward a “global resolution” for the matter.
They’ve also offered nearly $5 billion and part of future revenue from its drug sales.
Latest News Headlines:
- 2nd person in days killed by Mardi Gras float in New Orleans
- CHP investigates fatal accident on Highway 101 in Redwood City
- Study: Eating a big breakfast burns more calories
- Nine dead in Turkey as 5.7 earthquake strikes western Iran
- Woman killed in San Francisco landslide remember 1 year later