WASHINGTON (NewsNation Now) — Dr. Scott Atlas has resigned as special adviser to President Donald Trump on coronavirus, a White House official confirmed to Reuters.
Stanford doctor Scott Atlas, who has no prior background in infectious diseases or public health, was one of the president’s lead science advisers on the pandemic. Atlas has been a public skeptic about mask-wearing and other measures widely accepted by the scientific community to slow the spread of the virus.
Stanford issued a statement earlier in November saying his views were inconsistent with the university’s approach to the pandemic.
The Faculty Senate of Stanford University also adopted a resolution criticizing Atlas. He responded, saying in part he has “always used science and factual evidence to help generate the best possible policies to save lives.”
This is a developing story.
- Newsfeed Now: Third COVID vaccine begins US rollout; 7-year-old opens lemonade stand to fund brain surgery
- Deal reached to get California children back in classrooms
- Wolf tracked near Yosemite park for first time in 100 years
- U.S. investigates engine fires in over 1 million Toyota RAV4s
- Biological sisters separated by adoption find each other by chance while working