(CNN) – This picture may look like Earth, but NASA scientists say it’s actually Venus – the hottest planet in our solar system.
Researchers believe Venus could have been a habitable planet two or three billion years ago.
They presented their study during a planetary science conference over the weekend.
It found that the planet may have had a stable climate that supported water.
But something happened that caused a dramatic shift to 80% of the planet.
They say Venus went from a stable climate to now reaching average temperatures of 462 degrees.
According to the researchers, it is still a mystery what could have happened but they say it took place more than 700 million years ago.
Latest News Headlines:
- California apologizes for Japanese American internment
- 3 charged after 11-year-old gives birth in Missouri bathtub
- In Lake Placid, a miracle from 40 years ago still inspires
- Spying, disinformation accusations follow UFO figure Rick Doty — an exclusive interview
- New Mexico sues Google over collection of children’s data