(CNN) – This picture may look like Earth, but NASA scientists say it’s actually Venus – the hottest planet in our solar system.
Researchers believe Venus could have been a habitable planet two or three billion years ago.
They presented their study during a planetary science conference over the weekend.
It found that the planet may have had a stable climate that supported water.
But something happened that caused a dramatic shift to 80% of the planet.
They say Venus went from a stable climate to now reaching average temperatures of 462 degrees.
According to the researchers, it is still a mystery what could have happened but they say it took place more than 700 million years ago.
Latest News Headlines:
- CDC: Updated guidance on COVID-19 spread was mistakenly published
- Nearly 100,000 businesses have permanently closed since March. Yelp says these are the hardest hit shops
- California to pause unemployment claims for 2 weeks
- Ginsburg will lie in state inside the Capitol’s Statuary Hall on Friday
- Watch: Ellen DeGeneres makes on-air apology, vows a ‘new chapter’