NEW YORK (AP) — Zoo officials say a woman reportedly climbed over a safety barrier at the lion exhibit at a New York City zoo.
The Bronx Zoo says in a statement that staff received a report that an individual climbed over the visitor barrier at the African lion exhibit on Saturday.
The woman is seen in a social media video waving to the lion from across a moat that separates the animals from visitors.
Another video shows the woman climbing over the wooden safety barrier before stopping at the edge of the moat.
The zoo says this was a “serious violation and unlawful trespass.” The Bronx Zoo says they have a “zero tolerance policy on trespass and violation of barriers.”
The woman was reportedly escorted out of the park and now may face criminal trespassing charges.
Latest News Headlines:
- Patriots look to rebound as they host 2-0 Raiders
- Maldives resort hiring ‘Barefoot Bookseller’ to run its island bookshop
- Car injures 2 protesters during BLM demonstration in California
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG
- Demand Justice group buys Amy Coney Barrett’s domain name, site redirects to criticism of her record