SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — The man accused of the brutal attack against Paul Pelosi in the San Francisco home he shares with his wife will be charged on Monday, according to a statement from the office of San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins.
David DePape is expected to be charged on Monday for the attack on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, and he will face an arraignment on Tuesday, the DA’s Office said. A press conference will be held on Tuesday to share more information with the public.
DePape was taken into custody after police say they found him violently attacking Pelosi. Police say he yelled “Where is Nancy?” before bludgeoning Pelosi with a hammer. He was tackled by police at the scene.
DePape is currently in custody of the San Francisco Police Department and is being held without bail, according to inmate records. Police could not confirm if DePape had been placed on a psychiatric or a medical hold.
KRON On is streaming now
“The suspect is still in the hospital. It’s not appropriate for me to release any of the suspect’s medical information,” SFPD Police Chief Scott said Friday evening. “We intend to book the suspect. He will be booked for felony charges.”
DA Jenkins says she believes there is enough evidence to charge DePape with felonies that include attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary and elder abuse.
KRON4 learned that DePape had lived in a storage unit at one time and is now estranged from his children and his partner, according to an acquaintance named Linda Schneider.