Police identify Reno high-rise gunman killed by SWAT team


RENO (KRON) — Police have identified the man who was killed by SWAT after taking a woman hostage and opening fire on a downtown Reno street from the eighth floor of a condominium.

Police say 30-year-old Lucas Stone of Reno may have been hallucinating Tuesday when he fired shots from the eighth floor of the condominium near the main casino drag.

Sparks Police Lt. Michael Keating said preliminary findings suggest he was shooting at subjects that didn’t exist.

The Washoe County medical examiner identified Stone but did not release any other details about his death.

The Reno Gazette-Journal reports he moved from Sacramento to a Reno apartment within the past year and recently divorced.

Just before 7 p.m. Tuesday, law enforcement received reports of an active shooter in downtown Reno at The Montage condominiums on North Sierra Street.

Stone had barricaded himself inside of the condo with a hostage, who Stone apparently knew.

The woman was not hurt and no one else was seriously injured.

Police Chief Jason Soto said there was no indication the gunman had planned the attack.

Authorities say they don’t know if the shooter was aiming at anyone in the street but he fired dozens of shots over a 20-minute period.

The shooting stirred initial fears of another massacre like the one in Las Vegas, where a man killed 58 people and wounded hundreds of others from the 32nd floor of a hotel-casino.

Stephen Paddock, the Las Vegas gunman, had owned a unit at the same Montage condo complex in Reno where the shots were fired. Records show he sold the property located a block off the main casino drag in December 2016.

Deputy Police Chief Tom Robinson said police don’t know if the Reno shooter may have been a copycat. He said a motive had not been established.

It was not clear if the shooter or the hostage lived in the Montage building. Robinson said the two appeared to have “a domestic relationship, I just don’t know the extent of the relationship.”

Karl Fiebiger, a seventh-floor resident, quickly left his condominium after police told him they had secured the seventh, ninth and ground floors of the tower. Police told him the shooter was on the eighth floor and they worried stray bullets could penetrate windows and floors.

“Honestly I knew the shooter was close, I could feel the windows vibrate, I could hear things falling from walls,” Fiebiger told the Gazette-Journal. “So I was pretty glad to evacuate because I knew I wasn’t in the safest situation if bullets started flying.”WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON: 


Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News