WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump says media speculation that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will leave his job soon is “fake news.”
Trump is responding on Twitter to widespread reports attributed to White House officials describing a plan to oust Tillerson and replace him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo.
Trump says it’s incorrect that he “fired Rex Tillerson” or that the secretary will be leaving soon. He says Tillerson is “not leaving.”
The president says he and Tillerson disagree on some subjects but adds that “I call the shots.” Trump says he and Tillerson “work well together” and that the U.S. is once again “highly respected.”
Trump’s tweet links to a photograph of Tillerson being sworn into office earlier this year in the Oval Office while Trump and Vice President Mike Pence look on.
The media has been speculating that I fired Rex Tillerson or that he would be leaving soon – FAKE NEWS! He’s not leaving and while we disagree on certain subjects, (I call the final shots) we work well together and America is highly respected again!https://t.co/FrqiPLFJ1E
– Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 1, 2017
- GARCIA ZARATE FOUND NOT GUILTY OF KILLING KATE STEINLE
- FULL COVERAGE: KATE STEINLE SHOOTING CASE
- BOY DIES AFTER MOM REFUSES TO TAKE HIM TO DOCTOR
- POLICE IDENTIFY RENO HIGH-RISE GUNMAN KILLED BY SWAT
- CAR YOU DRIVE REVEALS IF YOU ARE DEMOCRAT OR REPUBLICAN
- WATCH LIVE: KRON4 NEWSCASTS