A jury has awarded $29 million to a San Leandro woman who claimed her terminal cancer was caused by Johnson & Johnson baby powder.
Jurors in Oakland found the company liable Wednesday in a suit that claims asbestos in the powder gave Teresa Leavitt mesothelioma.
Some 13,000 similar lawsuits around the country allege New Jersey-based Johnson & Johnson hid the powder’s health risks from the public for decades.
Requests for comment from the company weren’t immediately returned. Johnson & Johnson insists its powder is demonstrably safe and asbestos-free but it has lost a string of court cases.
Last year, a Los Angeles jury awarded $25.7 million to a woman who blamed her cancer on the powder.
A jury in Missouri last year awarded $4.69 million to 22 women.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- COLLEGE CHEATING SCANDAL: ACTORS, STANFORD COACH CHARGED
- SUSPECT ARRESTED IN STABBING DEATH OF SAN JOSE MOTHER
- FACEBOOK SAYS SOME QUIZZES WERE GUISE TO HACK YOUR ACCOUNT
- TRUMP SAYS ‘AIRPLANES ARE BECOMING FAR TOO COMPLEX TO FLY’
- WATCH: HUNDREDS OF TACOS RAIN DOWN ON VISITORS IN TEXAS