SANTA CRUZ (KRON) — A 1-year-old girl is safe and her father is in police custody Friday afternoon after a standoff with police that began when the man allegedly kidnapped the child earlier in the day.
The man, Brian Seleen, of Hollister, allegedly harmed his estranged partner at a Santa Cruz motel before taking the child.
The mother of the child was injured and hospitalized.
She told police her child had been kidnapped.
Earlier Friday, officers believed the man was hiding somewhere in the area of Front and 2nd Streets in Santa Cruz.
He was believed to be on foot. Because no car was involved in the kidnapping, authorities did not issue an Amber Alert.
Police were going door to door and using a drone to search for the suspect.
A standoff was underway between police and the suspect until the child was released in to her grandmother’s custody.
Around 4:30 p.m., Santa Cruz police confirmed the 1-year-old girl was safe and the man was in police custody and booked into the county jail.
This is a developing story and will be updated when more information becomes available.
- California scientist warns people to stay away from beaches during COVID-19 pandemic
- U.S. ‘wasted’ months before preparing for virus pandemic
- Santa Clara County issuing citations to those not following stay-at-home orders
- Mass isolation and quarantine ordered for COVID-19 patients in Contra Costa County
- States lack key data on virus cases among medical workers