BENTON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A 28-year-old man broke into a Tennessee home over the weekend to “maliciously kill a dog that he believed to be evil,” an arrest affidavit states.
Cody Townsend was charged Monday with aggravated cruelty to animals and aggravated burglary.
According to the arrest affidavit, Townsend entered a home Sunday on Timber Lane in Holladay while the owners were away in an attempt to kill the “evil” dog.
The paperwork goes on to say Townsend used a baseball bat to beat the dog, causing severe head and eye injuries, then poured gasoline on the dog and lit it on fire.
Investigators have not said if the dog survived.
Townsend was also charged with aggravated criminal trespassing because authorities said he was walking down the road, when he approached an occupied van, opened the door and climbed in.
A court date for Townsend was set for Wednesday.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NOTORIOUS CA KILLER ACCUSED OF BEHEADING, TORTURING CELLMATE
- U.S. OFFICIALS: ARMY VET’S PLAN TO BOMB NAZI RALLY IN SOCAL FOILED
- BUS DRIVER WHO PLEADED GUILTY TO RAPE OF GIRL GETS NO JAIL TIME
- VIDEO: KILLER WHALES ATTACK GRAY WHALE CALF IN MONTEREY BAY
- WATCH: GIRL HIDES TO AVOID CAR FOLLOWING HER IN VACAVILLE