ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis police officer “mishandled” a gun and accidentally shot and killed a colleague early Thursday, authorities said.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. at an officer’s home, police Chief John Hayden told reporters during a news conference shortly after the shooting. Two on-duty male officers were at one of their apartments when Katlyn Alix, who was off duty, stopped by, according to police.
A police incident report said the three officers were seated in the apartment living room when one of the male officers “mishandled a firearm and shot (Alix) in the chest.” The male officers, both 29, drove Alix, 24, to a hospital, where she died.
- CALFIRE REVEALS CAUSE OF TUBBS FIRE AS PRIVATE ELECTICAL SYSTEM
- POLICE DESCRIBE EXECUTION-STYLE KILLINGS INSIDE FLORIDA BANK
- DNA TECH LEADS TO MAN’S ARRESTED IN FREMONT COLD CASE
- MARIJUANA SITE GIVES FREE WEED TO FED EMPLOYEES DURING SHUTDOWN
- SUPERINTENDENT FACES FRUAD CHARGES AFTER HELPING SICK STUDENT