We’re learning more about a gun battle in San Jose that forced lots of people out of their homes.
Police say they found guns that were stolen years ago.
The suspect’s name is Mario Caballero, a 31-year-old felon who’s behind bars now.
A video shows the standoff from Friday. But KRON4 is learning Friday that police were originally called out to the home twice on Thursday but nobody was arrested.
It wasn’t until the call on Friday when shots started ringing out.
San Jose police say Caballero walked out of the house and shot at the officers.
One returned fire, causing Caballero to go in and barricade himself.
“Merge deployed chemical agents into the residence and it successfully forced Caballero to exit the second story window onto the roof,” San Jose police Chief Eddie Garcia said. “A police K-9 was used to take him into custody.”
Caballero was sent to the hospital with a gunshot wound and injuries because of the K-9.
Inside the home, Chief Garcia says they found two handguns, both of them reported stolen in burglaries.
One was from last year, and the other was from three years ago.
Caballero is a known gang member with several felony convictions already including assault with a deadly weapon and burglary.
The officer who fired his gun is on paid administrative leave as this incident is investigated.
- RAINY WEEK AHEAD FOR THE BAY AREA
- 1-YEAR-OLD DIES AFTER BEING STRUCK BY CAR IN RICHMOND
- LONGTIME SAN FRANCISCO RADIO HOST RAY TALIAFERRO MISSING
- MODESTO MAN BURYING PET IN BACKYARD FIND HUMAN REMAINS
- MAN JAILED AFTER RAPE OVERHEARD ON PLAYSTATION4