A call about a hungry dog stealing someone’s slice of pizza led to the discovery of a homeless dog family, including one-week-old puppies.
“We received a call from a concerned person in East Palo Alto who reported a stray dog stealing a piece of pepperoni pizza he and his friends were enjoying on their lunch break,” said a Humane Society representative. “When our rescue staff arrived on scene the hungry little dog led us to her small nest of six tiny one week old puppies.”
The Peninsula Humane Society and SPCA worked together to gather the mom and her pups and brought them to a shelter in San Mateo.
Since the mother was not micro chipped and no one came to claim her, she and the puppies were given to a temporary foster home.
“This poor little dog was struggling to survive on her own, eating whatever scraps of food she could find and trying to take care of her babies,” officials said. “Her puppies have been weaned and are now all available for adoption at our shelter in Burlingame.”
The puppies were named after members of the British Royal Family: William, Harry, Duchess Kate, Lady Di, Charlotte and Meghan. The mom got a regal name too – Queen Elizabeth.
- People interested in meeting the mom and the puppies can visit PHS/SPCA at 1450 Rollins Road, Burlingame or call at 650-340-7022. The shelter is open for adoptions 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on weekends. Potential adopters should arrive at least an hour before closing time to complete an adoption.
- ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP: WARRIORS VS CAVALIERS
- FAN PHOTOS: DUBNATION SHOWS OFF THEIR WARRIORS PRIDE
- VOTERS APPROVE BAY AREA-WIDE BRIDGE TOLL HIKE
- MILLENNIALS ARE FLOCKING TO THESE CITIES, STUDY SAYS