MANILA (CNN) – A woman is in custody in the Philipines after she allegedly tried to fly out of the country with a baby in her carry-on luggage.
Local authorities say the woman is an American and that the baby was just 6-days-old.
Immigration officials in the Philippines say the woman appeared to be traveling alone and only presented her personal passport.
But when staff inspected her oversized carry-on suitcase, they found the child inside.
The woman reportedly claimed to be the child’s aunt, but did not have any evidence that they were related.
National anti-human trafficking investigators are now handling the case.
Latest News Headlines:
- Majority of those arrested in Alameda County from out of region, sheriff says
- U.S. farmers just can’t catch a break in 2020
- Lawmakers divided on president’s comments on protesters
- Teen caught smuggling 7 kilos of cocaine at El Paso border crossing
- Republicans praise Trump for his promise to stop protests; Democrats at a loss for words