MANILA (CNN) – A woman is in custody in the Philipines after she allegedly tried to fly out of the country with a baby in her carry-on luggage.
Local authorities say the woman is an American and that the baby was just 6-days-old.
Immigration officials in the Philippines say the woman appeared to be traveling alone and only presented her personal passport.
But when staff inspected her oversized carry-on suitcase, they found the child inside.
The woman reportedly claimed to be the child’s aunt, but did not have any evidence that they were related.
National anti-human trafficking investigators are now handling the case.
Latest News Headlines:
- SF’s Pete’s Tavern, Pedro’s Cantina announce closure
- ‘She was a good soul’: Woman remembered as police continue to investigate San Joaquin Delta boat crash
- Alameda pet fair marks America’s largest pet adoption event
- 16 de septiembre: Everything you need to know about ‘El Grito’
- Rain to make Monday morning commute slick