NEW DELHI, India (KRON) – A man has died in India after a fight with his rooster as the two were on their way to a cockfight.
50-year-old Saripalli Chanavenkateshwaram Rao was hit in the neck with a blade tied to the rooster’s claw on Jan. 15, CNN reports.
Officials said the man was a regular at local cockfights and was on his way to enter the rooster in a competition when it tried to get away and break free.
A police spokesperson told CNN the father of three was taken to the hospital where he later died from a stroke.
Rao lived in a village in southern India’s Andhra Pradesh state.
Cockfighting has been illegal in India since 1960 but continues to cause problems around the country.
- Bay Area rental market appears to be stabilizing
- Survey: 78% of Oakland residents want more police officers
- Berkeley police arrest suspect in series of anti-Semitic hate crimes
- Police search for suspect who reportedly assaulted, spat on 13-year-old in Milpitas
- San Francisco pastor becomes 1st openly transgender bishop in U.S.