The world’s largest fast food chain is continuing to shrink.
Subway reports it closed 1,000 restaurants in the U.S. lat year.
Not only is that more than it planned — the number may actually be higher than that.
That’s because Subway didn’t disclose how many new stores it opened — and some of the closed restaurants include locations that opened during the same year.
Like other fast food restaurants, Subway is struggling to keep up with changing consumer tastes.
The chain plans to remodel many of its stores with self-ordering kiosks, more comfortable seats, and USB charging ports.
Subway currently has 24,000 stores in the U.S.
It has closed more than it has opened every year since 2016.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NOTORIOUS CA KILLER ACCUSED OF BEHEADING, TORTURING CELLMATE
- U.S. OFFICIALS: ARMY VET’S PLAN TO BOMB NAZI RALLY IN SOCAL FOILED
- BUS DRIVER WHO PLEADED GUILTY TO RAPE OF GIRL GETS NO JAIL TIME
- VIDEO: KILLER WHALES ATTACK GRAY WHALE CALF IN MONTEREY BAY
- WATCH: GIRL HIDES TO AVOID CAR FOLLOWING HER IN VACAVILLE