SAN JOSE (KRON) — Sierra LaMar’s family and their supporters have waited five years for some sort of closure.
It has been a long slow search for justice. With no body ever found, investigators had to rely on forensic evidence to link the defendant to Sierra Lamar’s disappearance.MARCH 16, 2012: THE DISAPPEARANCE
Early morning on a lonely rural road in Morgan Hill, 15-year-old LaMar disappeared. She was headed for the school bus stop just a few minutes walk from her home.
That evening, her mother got an automated call from the school that her daughter was absent. Marlene LaMar insists her daughter is not a runaway.MARCH 17, 2012: CELL PHONE FOUND
The next day, sheriff’s deputies began searching nearby fields. They discovered Sierra’s cellphone in a field a couple of blocks away.MARCH 18, 2012: BAG FOUND
Sierra’s purse was found, a Juicy Couture bag containing pants, a T-shirt, and underclothes, all neatly folded.
FBI agents joined the investigation. Divers searched nearby reservoirs.
Missing kids advocate Marc Klaas mobilized hundreds of volunteers to comb through the surrounding farmland. No piece of information is too small
All of their efforts proved fruitless.
THE LATEST:Sierra LaMar murder trial
MARCH 28, 2012: ANTOLIN GARCIA-TORRES MONITERED
Away from the cameras, investigators already had a suspect. They began monitoring Antolin Garcia-Torres 12 days after Sierra’s disappearance.MAY 8, 2012: RED JETTA IMPOUNDED
Sheriff’s deputies reveal they impounded a red Volkswagen Jetta with a distinctive black hood owned by Garcia-Torres.MAY 21, 2012: GARCIA-TORRES ARRESTED
Police arrest Garcia-Torres after his DNA was allegedly detected on Sierra’s belongings.FEB. 13, 2014: GARCIA-TORRES PLEADS NOT GUILTY
For the two years, searchers combed the area for clues as court hearings were postponed time after time.
Finally in Feb. 2014, Garcia-Torres pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and murder.OCT. 17 2016: JURY SELECTION BEGINS
Jury selection began in Oct. 2016. The prosecution asked for the death penalty. Sierra’s father just wants a conviction.JAN. 20, 2017: TRIAL BEGINS
After months of delays, the trial finally begins. MAY 2, 2017: CLOSING ARGUMENTS
The jury hears closing arguments on the case.Stay with KRON4 News for continuing coverage of the trial.
Top Posts & Pages
- Rattlesnake bite on Mission Peak near Fremont sends hiker to hospital in serious condition
- Watch KRON 4 newscasts on live streams
- VIDEO: Teen boy shot, killed in San Francisco’s Sunset District identified
- VIDEO: Children among 2 killed, 3 injured in crash on Highway 880 in Oakland
- 22-year-old Pittsburg man killed in shooting near Oakland Home Depot store
- VIDEO: 2 deadly traffic accidents on Highway 880, 1 in San Francisco Monday morning
- Florida woman arrested after agreeing to swap sex for chicken McNuggets
- Watch KRON 4 Morning News to win!
- VIDEO: Employee arrested for allegedly recording women, children inside Half Moon Bay restaurant’s restroom
- VIDEO: Thousands expected to march, protest across Bay Area for May Day