Toxic pool chemicals that mixed together have sent at least 35 people to the hospital.

The incident happened around 12 p.m. at the Shadow Brook Swim Club on Shadow Brook Drive in San Jose.

Firefighters say a pool worker mistakenly mixed the toxic chemicals together and it created a dangerous cloud of gas. 

The pool worker became ill almost immediately after being exposed to the mixture. 

The victims reported symptoms of nausea, vomiting and trouble breathing. 

The 35 patients were rushed to nine different hospitals. 

Investigators say the victims were decontaminated and are recovering at local hospitals.

The victims range in age from 6 to parents. 

Fire officials say people who were exposed and aren’t immediately showing any symptoms could still be in danger. 

Investigators said the toxins can get into the lungs and the build-up can cause a person to drown in their own fluids. 

The pool area is closed until further notice. Please check shadowbrook.org for updates. 

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

>>MORE STORIES