President Trump is trying to clarify his 2016 campaign promise that he’d build a wall and Mexico would pay for it.
While leaving the White House Thursday, he said:
“When during the campaign, I would say, ‘Mexico’s going to pay for it,’ obviously I never said this – and I never meant – they’re going to write out a check, I said they’re going to pay for it, they are.”
President Trump went on to say Mexico is paying for the wall indirectly, with the USMCA trade deal.
Trump is visiting the southern border Thursday.
He’s expected to participate in a roundtable on immigration and border security at the U.S. Border Patrol McAllen station, and he will receive a briefing on border security at the Rio Grande before returning to Washington.
- POLICE SEARCH FOR MAN CAUGHT ON CAMERA LICKING FAMILY’S DOORBELL
- SANTA CRUZ WOMAN SAYS IT TOOK 28 HOURS TO DRIVE FROM LAKE TAHOE
- SISTERS, 14 AND 12, CHARGED WITH FATALLY STABBING, SHOOTING MOTHER
- NAPA TEEN ARRESTED FOR ALLEGEDLY PLANNING MASS SCHOOL SHOOTING
- MAN SAYS 3 SYRINGES FOUND IN RECTUM AREN’T HIS