SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. (AP) — A homeless woman accused of having sex with a man beneath a statue of the Virgin Mary at a Roman Catholic church in New Jersey has pleaded not guilty to lewdness and other charges.
Noelle Smart entered the pleas Tuesday in Seaside Heights Municipal Court.
Authorities say the 48-year-old Smart and 43-year-old Anthony Getchius were found May 22 in “a sacred area” on the grounds of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, which is next door to police headquarters.
Smart told the Asbury Park Press she and Getchius were homeless and staying behind the church. She says “the act of lewdness wasn’t happening.”
A public defender was appointed Tuesday to represent Smart.
- TENANT KIDNAPS 70-YEAR-OLD LANDLORD AFTER DISPUTE IN OAKLAND
- WOMAN KILLED IN CRASH AFTER TREE FALLS ON DANVILLE FREEWAY
- MEXICAN DRUG CARTEL LEADER ‘LA BARBIE’ GETS NEARLY 50 YEARS
- TEENAGER WARNS OTHERS AFTER BABY BROTHER DIES IN HOT CAR
- MAN SUES CVS FOR TELLING HIS WIFE ABOUT VIAGRA PRESCRIPTION