(CNN) – Satellite images over Brazil show the Amazon rainforest burning at a record rate.
The fires have been raging for weeks.
This area provides 20% of the world’s atmospheric oxygen – something scientists say is key to slowing global warming.
Activist groups have blamed Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro for relaxing environmental controls, which have accelerated deforestation.
But the president says the fires may have been started by environmentalists trying to make his government look bad on the world stage.
Latest News Headlines:
- Second stimulus check: GOP senators not ready to commit to direct payments
- Coronavirus deaths take a long-expected turn for the worse
- Marin County couple agrees to guilty pleas in college scam
- Russian man found guilty of hacking into 3 Bay Area tech companies
- Outdoor dining no longer allowed in Alameda County under new health order