(CNN) – Satellite images over Brazil show the Amazon rainforest burning at a record rate.
The fires have been raging for weeks.
This area provides 20% of the world’s atmospheric oxygen – something scientists say is key to slowing global warming.
Activist groups have blamed Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro for relaxing environmental controls, which have accelerated deforestation.
But the president says the fires may have been started by environmentalists trying to make his government look bad on the world stage.
Latest News Headlines:
- Bay Area going on 30+ consecutive days of no rain
- WATCH: Mardi Gras 2020 Coverage on the Gulf Coast
- Bay Area native Sabrina Ionescu makes history just hours after speaking at Kobe Bryant memorial
- ‘Bachelor’ now casting seniors for new dating reality show
- How to get your free pancakes from IHOP on National Pancake Day today