PARIS (AP) — The French prime minister has announced an international architects’ competition to rebuild the spire of Notre Dame Cathedral.
Edouard Philippe is speaking following a special Cabinet meeting Wednesday held by French President Emmanuel Macron, focusing on the reconstruction of the cathedral.
Philippe said the competition aims at “giving Notre Dame a spire adapted to technologies and challenges of our times.”
He said authorities have no estimate yet of the total cost of the renovation work. Macron said Tuesday he wants the cathedral to be rebuilt in five years.
Philippe said: “This is obviously a huge challenge, a historic responsibility.”
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- FIRST IMAGES INSIDE NOTRE DAME SHOW DAMAGE AFTER FIRE
- BAY AREA REACTS TO DEVASTATING FIRE AT NOTRE DAME
- NOOSE FOUND AT CHASE CENTER CONSTRUCTION SITE
- BICYCLIST SERIOUSLY INJURED IN BERKELEY HIT-AND-RUN
- VIDEO: OAKLAND PD CRACKING DOWN ON SIDESHOWS