(KSWB/CNN) – The world is at a heightened risk for a deadly global pandemic that could kill up to 80 million people.
That’s according to a new report published Wednesday by the World Health Organization.
The report says in a worst-case scenario situation, such a pandemic could kill between 50 and 80 million people, destabilize nations, and disrupt the global economy.
Experts found several factors that could exacerbate the spread of a pandemic – including increased globalization that would allow the disease to travel at a much higher rate.
The report also said online misinformation and growing distrust in institutions could be an obstacle for health workers fighting disease.
Latest News Headlines:
- Nexstar California stations host virtual COVID-19 Town Hall with local leaders
- Barbershops, hair salons allowed to reopen in most California counties with modifications
- WATCH: Unmasked people shouted out of grocery store by angry mob of masked shoppers
- After watching son graduate, Kentucky couple killed in wreck
- What you need to know today about the virus outbreak