ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkish authorities have arrested a former top-tier soccer player who confessed to killing his 5-year-old son while the boy was being treated in hospital on suspicion of a COVID-19 infection.
Cevher Toktas handed himself in to police and confessed to having smothered his son with a pillow on May 4.
The boy’s death was initially not believed to be suspicious, although he tested negative for COVID-19.
His body has been exhumed for an autopsy as part of the investigation, Anadolu reported.
Toktas told police that he tried to suffocate his son because he did not love him, Turkish media reported.
- $6.8M disaster relief fund granted in response to California wildfires
- Mom fights off masked attacker who grabbed her, toddler outside California home
- Family demands release of evidence in Breonna Taylor’s case
- VIDEO: Confirmed tornado touches down in Myrtle Beach
- HHS secretary touts Trump’s health care plan while Democrats say there’s nothing in it