SRI LANKA (CNN) – More than a dozen people were trampled by elephant during a parade in Sri Lanka Saturday.
One of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another animal.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital; the extent of their injuries isn’t known at this time.
The parade continued after the incident.
For the past 119 years, the area has held a procession in honor of the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha.
Latest News Headlines:
- SF’s Pete’s Tavern, Pedro’s Cantina announce closure
- ‘She was a good soul’: Woman remembered as police continue to investigate San Joaquin Delta boat crash
- Alameda pet fair marks America’s largest pet adoption event
- 16 de septiembre: Everything you need to know about ‘El Grito’
- Rain to make Monday morning commute slick