SRI LANKA (CNN) – More than a dozen people were trampled by elephant during a parade in Sri Lanka Saturday.
One of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another animal.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital; the extent of their injuries isn’t known at this time.
The parade continued after the incident.
For the past 119 years, the area has held a procession in honor of the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha.
Latest News Headlines:
- NASA’s Mars helicopter makes history-making first flight
- Oakland teen signs pro boxing contract with Mayweather Promotions
- Man killed in head-on collision by apparent drunk driver in Petaluma
- Bay Area Sikh community mourns for victims in Indianapolis FedEx shooting
- SF’s Golden Gate Park to be fenced off in anticipation of 4/20 day