NEW YORK (AP) – Oregon star and Bay Area native Sabrina Ionescu was selected No. 1 overall in the WNBA draft by the New York Liberty.
The Ducks guard, who was the consensus player of the year, was projected as the Liberty’s choice since the team won the draft lottery.
Many NBA players congratulated Ionescu, including former Golden State Warriors’ Kevin Durant.
Her teammate Satou Sabally, one of three juniors to forego their last year of college eligibility and enter the draft, is expected to go No. 2 to Dallas.
It would be the third time in the history of the draft that the top two picks came from the same program.
Ionescu grew up in the East Bay and attended Miramonte High School in Orinda.
- Minnesota governor apologizes for arrest of CNN crew
- Live updates: George Floyd protests grow across the U.S.
- Protest turns violent in San Jose following death of George Floyd
- White House on lockdown as protest breaks out nearby
- City of Oakland prepares in anticipation of protests