SANTA CLARA (KRON) – The San Francisco 49ers are scheduled to take the field in Miami with their white jerseys and gold pants when they face the Kansas City Chiefs on Feb. 2 for the big game, according to NBC Sports Matt Maiocco.
Following the NFC Championship, David Lombardi from The Athletic explains how the players were in hopes to wear their all-white throwback uniforms for the Super Bowl.
“The 49ers will make a push to wear their all-white ‘94 throwback uniforms in the Super Bowl at Miami. The problem, Richard Sherman tells me, is that the NFL currently won’t allow it. The 49ers got an exception to wear these unis Week 17 at Seattle; would like one again,” said Lombardi.
In order to wear the throwback uniforms, San Francisco would have to get permission from the NFL.
The 49ers received permission to wear the ’94 throwbacks for its Week 17 game against the Seahawks, and multiple players were hoping to do the same for the Super Bowl.
The 49ers will be making their seventh appearance in a Super Bowl.
Despite the decision to stick to the traditional uniforms, history shows the 49ers have won two previous times when they wore white tops and gold pants.
Latest Sports Headlines:
- Martin Jones makes 32 saves to lead Sharks past Kings 5-2
- Johnny Cueto pitches Giants past Rockies 3-1 in home opener
- WATCH: Bryan Stow throws first pitch at Giants home opener 10 years after vicious attack
- Play ball: Fans show off Giants pride ahead of home opener
- Giants 2021 home opener welcomes fans who prove to be COVID-free