SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — Being prepared for an earthquake is an essential part of living in the Bay Area.
It’s not a matter of if, but when the next “big one” will hit and KRON4 is making sure you are ready with information that could save your life.
It’s been five years since the Napa earthquake, which threw people’s lives and businesses into chaos and the effects are still being felt today.
Recent earthquakes in Southern California had magnitudes over 6.0 and 7.0.
We’ll also look back at California’s biggest earthquakes to find out what lessons we’ve learned and what changes have been made.
Watch the entire special in the video above.
And make sure to check out KRON4’s Surviving The Big One page for web extras like an interactive calculator that estimates earthquake insurance for your home, a timeline of California’s major quakes and a map of the state’s fault lines.
- Watch KRON4’s Earthquake Special: Surviving The Big One
- How federal agencies would respond during an earthquake
- Could a tsunami happen in the Bay Area?
- Emergency supplies to pack ahead of an earthquake
- Interactive Calculator: How much is earthquake insurance for your home?
- MAP: Here are the Bay Area’s most dangerous faults
- Timeline: A look at the Bay Area’s ‘shaky’ earthquake history
- How to prepare your home before a major earthquake strikes
- How to get earthquake-ready before the big one hits
- Five years since Napa earthquake: Here’s what we’ve learned
- How San Francisco’s safest building prepares for an earthquake
- Hayward Fault hasn’t seen major earthquake since 1800s
- ‘Shake Alert’ could one day send warning to your phone before an earthquake