SANTA ROSA, Calif (KRON) — In east Santa Rosa, smoke fills the air as firefighters battle flames from the Glass Fire well before the sun rises on Tuesday morning.
In the Oakmont neighborhood off of Highway 12, some homes are severely damaged — at least one may be destroyed on Frog Creek Rd.
However, firefighters were able to save a home while KRON4’s Sara Stinson was on the scene. Fire crews were concerned specifically about this area due to the proximity of the Oakmont senior living community where there are about 5,000 homes.
Fire officials said the fire was encroaching in on the neighborhood for senior homes, but they were able to stop it on Tuesday. Crews continue to monitor the area to prevent any growing flames.
One firefighter told KRON4 they had been fighting fires for 34 days in a row, with just a couple of days off.
- Berkeley: 50K reward offered in fatal shooting
- Prosecutors seek death for Scott Peterson
- Record surge: US shatters single-day mark of COVID-19 cases
- Second stimulus checks: White House less optimistic than Pelosi on pre-election deal
- Man charged in fatal shooting of pregnant woman was father of baby